Personal Security Products FAQ
Are you really an independent consumer guide?
Yes, we are in favor of no particular company. We do appreciate it if you click on the helpful links, as these will help you find out even more about medical alarms, personal emergency response systems, personal security and personal protection devices.
How do I even begin a conversation about medical alarms with my parents?
Be straightforward and firm, but never confrontational:
- "Dad, I worry that you seem unsteady on your feet. Is there a way I can be sure you won't fall and hurt yourself?"
- "How much longer do you want to live by yourself, mom?"
- For more, see our Convincing a Loved One page.
Are there lots of differences between medical alarm companies?
- Medical alarm companies or companies offering personal emergency response systems offer the same basic service. LifeLink is different from these.
- Most companies' service includes a pendant for the user and a call center that monitors the call. However, there are some different options or service emphases with different companies and by looking around (for example, using our company comparison pages) you can find a service that suits your needs and personality.
What's the best way to ensure my personal safety?
Personal safety begins with your own personality. Be aware: this is the first rule of many organizations, from the Boy Scouts to Buddhism to Christian monasteries. Train your mind to notice things. Pay attention to your gut feelings and intuitions. Notice when things "just don't feel right."
What's the difference between a Taser and a stun gun?
See our Stun Guns FAQ page.
Why would I buy any of these products over the internet?
- It's an excellent resource for learning everything you want to know about a product before purchasing.
- The internet is a convenient way to shop around. It's a handy tool to quickly compare services and prices. You can open up links in separate windows, even, and compare them closely that way.
- Many internet companies offer you the opportunity to gift people in other parts of the country.
- Organizations like thawte.com, truste.com and epinion.com can be consulted for consumer feedback and other information about company security and service.