Dos and Don'ts of Personal Safety Devices
Before purchasing a personal safety alarm or personal protection device, there are a number of things you must or must not do:
- Know state and city restrictions regarding stun guns and pepper spray.
- Check the Taser web site for your local city and state restrictions.
- Know and understand in which situations it is legal (or illegal) to use pepper spray or Mace.
- Remember the boy who cried wolf, before using your personal alarm.
- Take advantage of all other avenues of safety precaution, such as staying in lighted areas, etc.
- Purchase from a site that is certified by thawte.com or a similar US service.
- Check a vendor's ratings with a safe shopping site, like ePubliceye.com.
- Purchase from a US-based company.
- Proper research on the use of Tasers, stun guns, pepper spray and Mace.
- Fully understand the noise laws in your city and state before purchasing an alarm.
- Check into all your personal security options and decide what is right for you.
- Use your personal alarm as a toy. Remember the boy who cried wolf.
- Ever use your stun gun as a toy or test it on others.
- Purchase from a company that makes hysterical claims about crime today. They may also be trying to take advantage of you in other ways.
- Purchase from any vendor without a return policy.
- Deal with any vendor who has a bad rating with the Better Business Bureau.
- Purchase from a company with no valid contact information.
- Purchase a stun gun or Taser from an unauthorized vendor.
- Purchase a stun gun or Taser without checking your state's and city's specific restrictions regarding licenses and usage.
Advertiser Links for Personal Alarm